Xwísten is involved in a number of businesses that provide jobs for our members, high quality services to clients and revenue for our band. Our band’s economic development initiatives are coordinated through the Band Administrator and Finance Manager.
Please contact us if you would like a quote or to make a booking with any of our band-owned businesses described below.
- Xwísten Experience Tours and Bearfoot Grill Concession Stand: Xwísten Experience Tours offers tours from June to September, which include food, historical commentary, and sightseeing of our traditional fishing grounds and settlements. Xwísten tours employs six full time employees throughout the summer months. Visit the Xwísten Experience Tours website.
- Xwisten Volunteer Fire Department: Xwisten Fire Department is Volunteers from the community. The department is on call 24/7 in case of an emergency.
- Bridge River Logging: Bridge River Logging provides contract logging services. We have operated this company for over 30 years. The company currently has about 9 employees (about half of whom are band members). Contact us to discuss your needs and to get a quote.
- Equipment rental: The band owns, and rents out, several large pieces of equipment, including a 15 passenger van, two 20 passenger Buses, excavators, skidders, backhoes, dumptrucks, and a loader. See the full list with prices here. Contact us to discuss your needs and to get a quote.
- Septic Rental and Services: Xwísten owns a septic truck and portable toilets and provide rentals and septic maintenance services. See Portable Toilet rental list with prices here. Contact us to discuss your needs and to get a quote.
- Space rental: We have several spaces that can be rented for meetings or events, including a full sized gymnasium a beautiful outdoor arbour, and soccer field, a kitchen and boardrooms. See the rental list here. Contact us for discuss your needs and get a quote.
- Labourers: Xwísten band office regularly coordinates with local companies to find temporary skilled labourers. Band members with specific skills are matched with employers. These types of contracts typically include slashing, fuel management (i.e. forest thinning), fisheries contracts, hydro contracts, flagging, etc. Contact us for details.
Partnerships and joint ventures
In addition to the businesses that are fully owned by our band, we have also made investments and partnerships in other businesses:
- Lillooet Salish Enterprises: Xwísten is a 50% joint owner of this business, along with Cayoose Creek Band. The business owns and rents out three buildings in Lillooet.
- St’át’imc Tribal Holdings: Xwísten is one of six communities that are shareholders in this group. While there are currently no operations, in the future we may operate a pellet plant through this group.
- St’át’imc Government Services/ St’át’imc Chiefs Council: This group is currently in the process of starting and running several businesses, including businesses that specialize in engineering; management consulting; piping and piling; welding, fabrication and engineering; Eco-resources, archaeology and heritage; and safety services.