The membership department keeps track of members and helps register new members.

How do I become a Xwísten member?

Contact us and we can help walk you through the process. The first step is to write a letter to Xwísten Chief and Council stating why you wish to be a Xwísten member – maybe you have grandparents who were from Bridge River Reserve or other relatives who live here and are Band members. You will need to have your original long form birth certificate.  Secondly after sending the letter you are requested to be at three of our general band meetings. At the first meeting you introduce yourself to the band members and state your family history as best as you can, and answer any questions they may have of you. You are then requested to attend two more meetings. At your third meeting, the band members will vote on if you are accepted in or not.  If you are accepted, you are expected to make a pot of stewan soup (dried fish soup) for the next meeting.

How do I register my child?

Contact us and we can help walk you through the process. Babies, children, and youth born to Bridge River Band members can become Xwísten members. The parents can register them using either the form called Parental Consent for Minor under the Indian Act or the form called Application for Registration of Child Under the Indian Act.

The parents will need to provide a copy of their child’s long form birth certificate (contact us if you need help getting this)

Make sure your contact information is up to date!

We need to have up to date contact information for all members for newsletters, cheques, voting information, etc. If you are moving, or plan on moving soon, please contact us to give us your new contact information.

How do I obtain my status card?

Contact us and we can help walk you through the process.

Forms that you will need are available here